Forget those generic packet stir-fries, they all have the same ingredients and end up tasting the same. I’m going to show you how quick and easy it is to make a genuine stir fry.
The key components of this stir fry combine to delicately infuse with a variety of wonderful fresh fragrances and spices; MP Cauli Chestnut stir fry is a delicious, aromatic vegetable dish, that is guaranteed to please your senses! Once you learn to make your own stir fries from fresh ingredients, you will probably never go back to the packet mixes again.
700g cauliflower florets, discard stems, coarsely chopped
canola oil cooking spray
2 small eggs, lightly beaten
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp caraway seeds
2 tsp's sesame oil
4 stalks of celery, leaves removed, cut diagonally into small pieces
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 bunches of baby broccoli (broccolini), washed and halved.
¼ cup water
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbls of minced ginger (can substitute with 1 tbls of finely grated fresh ginger)
2 large carrots, grated
2 x (225g) can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
2 tbls salt-reduced soy sauce
1 fresh red birds eye chilli, sliced thinly if you prefer a milder heat, remove the chilli seeds).
freshly ground pepper, to season
1. Prep cauliflower florets*. You can either, using a sharp knife, coarsely chop the florets into small rice-sized pieces, or, if you prefer, use either a food processor/ or Bullet, and pulse blend until chopped.
Shar’s Tip - Make sure when you wash the cauliflower, you dry it thoroughly with paper toweling before cutting, as it can become quite mushy, and messy when chopping or processing.
2. Steam or microwave cauliflower for 4-5 minutes or until just tender. (cooking times may vary depending on oven) Season with fresh pepper and set aside.
3. Next, heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat; (alternately, you can use an electric frying pan/skillet to also prepare this dish). Spray lightly with cooking oil, add beaten eggs and stir to form a thin omelette. When cooked, transfer omelette to a large plate or clean chopping board. Cut into thin strips, set aside.
4. Respray pan with oil and heat on high setting. Cook cauliflower for 3-4 minutes to warm. Add cumin and caraway seeds. Stir well to infuse, continue cooking, stirring frequently for 1-2+ minutes or until lightly browned; transfer to a plate.
5. Heat 1 tsp of sesame oil in pan, add celery and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soften. Next, add garlic, and ginger, and cook until fragrant (1-2 mins). Reduce heat to medium-heat, add broccolini and water, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until just tender.
6. Finally, add carrot, chestnuts, and soy sauce. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Return cooked cauliflower, stir well to combine, and cook 1-2 minutes until heated through.
7. Plate up and serve immediately, top with omelette strips, fresh chilli (optional) and drizzle with flaxseed oil.
Three fabulous protein choices I suggest you try this stir fry with:
Grilled Chicken with Lemon, Ginger Asparagus. (Optional - add the asparagus to the stir fry, when adding the broccolini.)
Serves: 4 Prep & Cooking time: 25 minutes
Nutrition Information: (per serve)
Cals/Kjs 152.2 Protein: 7.5 g Carbs: 21.1 g Fat: 4.2 g