1. Instead of plain ol' mashed potato try mash steamed cauliflower, pumpkin and parsnip together with fresh chives and cracked pepper. You’ll be consuming fewer kilojoules and its more nutritious. It also tastes sensational!
2. Add grated carrot, capsicum strips, slices of mushrooms even oven roasted mashed pumpkin to your MP wraps.
3. Make a vibrant and tasty dip or spread by pureeing frozen peas with a little rock salt and cracked pepper. Its great with corn chips, spread on the base of any wrap, or spread on some rye toast, topped with grilled onion, tomatoes and mushrooms and melted feta cheese!
4. Oven baked Veggie chips. Slice carrots, pumpkin, parsnips and beetroot. Lightly spray with oil and season with a little rock salt and a sprinkling of mixed herbs. Place on a baking tray then in a preheated oven - 200°C/ for 15-20 minutes. Consume with any meal or add crumble over a salad.
5. Stock up on frozen vegetables. They have the same or better nutrition quality as fresh veggies. A good supply in your freezer ensures that you’ll always have veggies ready to go if your supplies run out.
6. For a breakfast with a difference - top your egg white omelet with blueberries, or strawberries, and some sliced banana. Add a dollop of low-fat ricotta cheese and drizzle a little honey over the top. Egg whites have no flavor - what you add becomes the dominant taste!
7. Making rissoles (meat balls) try adding 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables to the mixture.
8. Mushroom burgers - grill or barbecue large portobello mushrooms for a great tasting veggie burger. Add onions, some ketchup, sliced tomato, light mozzarella cheese and fresh lettuce leaves.
9. Try adding fruit to your salads! Pears, strawberries, peaches, red grapes, watermelon, pineapple even dried cranberries or raisins? Use your imagination! My two favorite fruit additions are blueberries and diced mango chunks.
10. Whenever you grill or barbecue make up vegetable kebabs. Thread chunky cut pieces of capsicum, squash, mushroom, onion, zucchini, carrots etc. onto skewers. Cook for 10 minutes. Add chunks of pineapple or peaches for a taste sensation.