10 pieces of lamb osso buco, or 12 -14 pieces of veal shin (usually smaller)
*1½ cup of frozen peas to be added 30 minutes prior to serving
2 large cloves of garlic, cut horizontally
1 tbls grated lemon zest or orange zest
1-2 tbls mixed italian herbs/ or a couple of fresh rosemary sprigs
200mls salt-reduced beef stock
200mls thick tomato cooking sauce
*Note - I like to use 3 tbls sweet BBQ sauce marinade for added flavor…. adds a deep, rich sweetness flavour to the dish.
Alternately you can whisk into jug -
2 tbls salt-reduced soy sauce
2 tbls honey or 2 tbls brown sugar
½ tspn ground cinnamon
For the Gremolata (optional)
1 unwaxed lemon, zest finely grated
1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
3 tbls flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Pinch of sea salt
1. First place into the ceramic insert, pumpkin, eggplant and carrots.
2. Next, add 5 osso buco chops on top.
3. Then add zucchini, mushrooms, onion and celery.
4. Top with the remaining osso buco chops, and add capsicum and tomatoes.
5. In a large jug, whisk together all marinade ingredients, and pour over the osso buco and vegetables.
6. Place lid on top, set on low and cook for 10-12 hours.
*Note – About 30mins prior to serving, stir in the frozen peas or other frozen vegetables of choice, and place lid on top.
7. When done, plate up, garnish with fresh gremolata, or just parsley. Can be eaten on its own, or served with rice or quinoa for an inside window meal, or with extra vegetable and salad.
It tastes even better the next day!!!
To thicken the sauce -
In a small jug add 1-2 tbls flour mixed with 100 -150mls water and whisk to make a creamy paste. Pour into the crockpot and stir through. You may need to repeat process until desired thickness of sauce is attained.
Shar’s Quick Tips:
1. General rule when adding liquid to a slow cooker is around 350-400mls, the slow cooking process actually doesn’t allow steam to evaporate; steamed is trapped and produces moisture. So you will find, the dish will have a lot more liquid then added once the cooking is complete.
2. DON’T LIFT THE LID! An extra 40-45 minutes needs to be added on to the overall cooking time. This lowers the inside temperature and it takes this long to reheat.
3. Keep vegetables uniformed in size – this allows for even cooking.
Calories: 221.9 Protein: 31.1 g Carbs: 7.0 g Fat: 7.5 g