What is a Quesadilla? Basically, it is the Mexican version of a flattened, toasted sandwich. Crunchy tortillas stuffed with melted cheese and any type of filling you like. My gluten free Chicken and Corn quesadillas are my fav - packed with colourful veggies, black beans and pulled chicken, they’re quick, healthy and really hit the spot after a workout!
Prep & Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inside the Metabolic Window meal
250g cooked shredded/pulled chicken breast meat
½ medium red onion, finely sliced
½ large red capsicum, deseeded, finely sliced or diced
10 cherry tomatoes, washed, halved
1 cup kernels from 1-2 fresh corn cobs, (or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed)
1 cup of tinned black beans, rinsed, well drained, partially mashed
2 wedges of fresh lime
½ tsp ground cumin
sprinkle of dried chili flakes (optional)
rock salt and freshly cracked pepper, to season
½ small avocado, mashed
½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
70g low- fat shredded mozzarella cheese
5 x (6-inch / mini) corn tortillas
canola cooking spray oil
1-2 tbls of jalapeños (optional)
1. Caramelize onions and capsicum first. Lightly spray and heat a large non-stick frying pan or griddle pan over medium high heat. Place onions and capsicum into pan and cook for 3-4 mins, until soften and slightly browned. Caramelizing these two ingredients adds a deliciously-sweet flavour to the quesadillas.
2. Next, add chicken, cherry tomatoes, corn and beans. Squeeze lime wedges over the top, sprinkle with cumin, chili flakes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally. When mixture is done, remove from heat and prepare tortillas.
3. Heat another smaller non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Lightly spray pan with cooking spray.
4. Spread half of each tortilla with a little mashed avocado. Place 1 tortilla into the pan; cook for 60 secs to brown, then add 2-3 tbls of the chicken filling. Top with some cheese, coriander, jalapeños if you like, then fold the other half of the tortilla over to form the quesadilla. Press down firmly using a flat spatula for a good 60 secs until cheese has melted.
5. Transfer the chicken quesadilla to a plate. Cut in half and serve immediately with a delicious fresh salsa and/or large, green salad!
6. Repeat process with remaining tortillas and chicken quesadilla mixture.
Shar’s Tips -
- When preparing the cooked/ bbq chicken, I suggest you pull it apart using a couple of forks. This shreds the chicken and makes it easier to mix in with the rest of the ingredients, and to stay inside when pressing the tortilla down.
- You can add all of the fresh quesadilla ingredients once chopped to the tortilla in the pan, then fold, and skip steps 1 & 2.
I find that heating all of the ingredients for the quesadilla in the pan first, not only adds more flavour, but it allows the mixture to compact nicely inside the quesadilla and prevent ingredients falling out when eating. Whichever you choose, they still taste delicious!
- I like to include cooked beans as a little extra protein- filler. You can substitute black beans with kidney beans or any bean of choice.
Having French in my blood, this all time classic French dish is a true favourite of mine. It’s a colourful meal, rich in flavour and so damn easy to make. Two words that best describe this fabulous meal are ‘Très bien’ or ‘Magnifique!‘ Bon Appetite!
Preparation: 10 - 12 minutes
Cooking Time: 10+ hours
1.5kg lean diced beef/chuck steak
3 x middle eye rashes of bacon, trimmed
- November 2019 (3)
- October 2019 (2)
- September 2019 (1)
- July 2019 (4)
- June 2019 (1)
- May 2019 (1)
- March 2019 (2)
- February 2019 (4)
- January 2019 (4)
- December 2018 (2)
- October 2018 (2)
- September 2018 (2)
- July 2018 (3)
- June 2018 (3)
- April 2018 (1)
- February 2018 (1)
- November 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (2)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (1)
- April 2017 (1)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (4)
- January 2017 (1)
- December 2016 (3)
- November 2016 (2)
- October 2016 (4)
- September 2016 (3)
- August 2016 (5)